The Slytherin Dungeons

Maxwell's Journal

Maxwell Shadow

Week two of my forced imprisonment is over and all I have to look forward to is six more weeks of confinement before I can board the Hogwarts Express to freedom. At one point I wondered if my mum would let me go back or was going to force me to find a job instead but I think the shame of having a son who didn't graduate would be worse than the shame of admitting I finished my OWLs a little late. It's been terribly hot this past week as some sort of heat wave hit the country. Usually I wouldn't complain about the weather being a little on the warm side, after all we don't get sunshine often here in England, but being stuck in the library all day every day it's a waste of good weather. Plus the ventilation is totally rubbish and I'm spending my whole time stuffy and using parchment fans to try and cool down. If only I was of age, then I would cast some sort of cooling spell to keep the room at a decent temperature, or charm the fans to wave at me on their own. But instead, I'm still just under six months from my 17th birthday so the stupid wizard laws mean I can't perform any magic outside of school, and there's no point asking mum as she'd just tell me it's my own fault for being so slack at school last term.

Bella comes to visit for a few days this week so I'll try and persuade her to cast some spells on the library for me or I might die from heat stroke before the holiday is complete. Might also work on mum a little to try and adjust my work schedule. If I can have a longer lunch and a break in the morning and afternoon I could get out and enjoy some of the sunshine. I'm not sure I'm brave enough yet to suggest she allows me to study in the garden or the gazebo, she's still pretty mad about the report card.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've had a thoroughly miserable summer holiday, though I can say my head is now quite a bit fuller with all the facts and stuff I've learnt. Class lists came by owl today along with all the usual start of term stuff so I've got to decide which classes I want to take this term. Mum's said that if I pick good classes (which means academic ones that I will work hard in and pass) that I can go with her to Diagon Alley tomorrow to buy my books and the rest of my school supplies. There are some classes I would love to take which I know won't get the seal of approval but I hope I can hide them amongst some more acceptable classes. I've also got my OWL resits to do this year as I only managed to pass three last year (they were all outstanding at least!), the reason for my summer of inprisonment.

I was able to have a bit of fun this Summer at least thanks to a wonderful message that came via owl four weeks ago saying Hogwarts was running a summer photography project. Since it was worth housepoints mum let me take part and I think I came up with a few good submissions and should have earnt myself a good number of points. I earnt some brownie points when one of my photos was chosen as the best entry of the week but I still think that writing is where my true passions lie.

Three days until I'm on the Hogwarts express and on my way to freedom

:slytherin:

Scales awarded
~Max

Thankfully mum was pleased with the classes I chose to take this year and I got to go on a trip to Diagon Alley. As well as my OWLs I've enrolled on a few career based courses so I can start to plan what I'll do when I leave Hogwarts. Mum approved of this approach but I know she'll be sending me weekly, if not daily, owls to check I'm completing my homework and paying attention in class. In the end I decided to study Norse Myths and Legends, since I love history and this class seemed perfect (I've done loads of mythological reading over the holidays so this one should be a peace of cake). I'm also going to take my Apparition License this year and take the WOMBATs (just in case my OWLs are an utter failure again). I'm going to go on an Internship at the Ministry of Magic and then later in the term go on an Exchange to Beauxbatons. Unfortunately this fell through last year and I wasn't able to go so hopefully if I keep on top of my other classes the Professors will allow me to spend a few weeks in Beauxbatons at least. The hope of a beautiful French girl falling madly in love with me is still a wonderful dream!

Looks like the train is getting close to Hogsmeade now so I'd better get on with my Head Student duties and sort out all the prefects and first years.

I can't believe how much work I've already don't this year and it's only a week into September. I've submitted applications for both the Beauxbatons exchange and an internship at the Ministry so hopefully I'll have some exciting things to do later in the term. Waiting for my Professors to mark my work now then I can write to mum with some (hopefully) good news.

Talking of news, two new head student badges have been handed out this week so I'm now going have some lovely ladies to keep me company in our study (which I thought was going to be a bit lonely this year). Just glad they never asked me to give my badge back at the end of last year. I think if they had tried to take it away my badge may have been on the wrong end of a permanent sticking charm

:slytherin:

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first house points this week; feels great to finally be up and running. Plus it gives me something to write home to mum about and hopefully get her off my back a little. I've been getting proper nagging owls almost every day from her checking up on me. It wouldn't surprise me if she was pestering my Professors as well, checking up on me. Let's hope I get a few more shortly then she'll properly leave me alone and I'll be able to relax a little.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

A little birdy told me that I'm currently the top house point earner in the whole school thanks to the crazy amount of homework I've done already. Sent that home in an owl straight away and mother sent me a massive bar of Honeydukes chocolate to congratulate me. An enclosed note warned me not to slack off now, thanks mum!

Scales awarded
~Max

So I didn't manage to get any more house points this week but I was still the highest earning Slytherin student so I'm very happy with my first month as a sixth year. Mum was over the moon and I was amazed to receive a message this morning containing my signed permission slip for Hogsmeade. After the disaster last term she had written to the school saying that I wasn't allowed to go into the villiage at all but I guess she thinks I've learnt my lesson. And what's even better is that I haven't actually missed any trips since the first one isn't until late October, near Hallowe'en. Feels good to be in school this year!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

We're already half way through October (which is going scarily fast) and I haven't earnt any house points yet which is pretty disappointing after last month's haul. I know I'm due 45 from one of my classes and I've sent a massive bunch of assignements in for one of my other classes but my Professor hasn't managed to grade any of them yet. I'm hoping I'll get a flurry of points in the next few weeks so I can make the Slytherin top ten list again.

In other exciting news Slyth-o-ween, one of the best celebrations of the year in the Dungeons, is here! We're already surrounded by carved pumpkins and I'm sure there's going to be loads more going on in the next few weeks.

Scales awarded
~Max

Still no house points this month :( Going to try and rectify that by sending in a bunch more assignments today and hoping those Professors are quicker with their grading! the alternative is to wait right until the end of the month and then get ahead with house points for next month instead but I honestly think my mother would kill me. That or come storming into the castle and demand that I be chained to a desk until I do enough work to earn a billion points. No exaggeration!

Slyth-o-ween is loads of fun, especially the scavenger hunt around the dungeons. I've managed to find all the puzzle pieces so far and am storing them in a chest under my bed until the end of the contest when I hope the jigsaw won't be too tricky to put together!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 1 month later...

And I was being so good by writing in this diary regularly as well... never mind, lets get going again.

I suppose one of the reasons I've not been inspired to write anything is the distinct lack of housepoints coming my way. Despite the fact that I have now sent in 945 points worth of assignments, I have only got 300 housepoints from my classes, with most of that coming in September. I only got 60 points from classwork in both October and November and so didn't even make the top ten for Slytherin in either month. I know that one of the Professor's assistants has graded a bunch of my assignments (194 points that I haven't actually got yet) but two of the others haven't even sent in any points at all. I sent them an owl a couple of weeks ago so waiting patiently to get a reply. In the mean time, I'll keep avoiding any owls that look like they might be from mother (who doesn't believe I've been doing my work and thinks I've been slacking big time) and send in my assignments for December.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Another few weeks, no more points for me. To be fair, I haven't done any more homework since last I wrote in this diary but that's not really the point. I've kept myself busy enjoying the Slythmas celebrations in the dungeons which is just as much fun taking part in as it was to plan. There are still some really great activities to come in the last three days as well as one more set of items to find for the scavenger hunt. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with before I head home for a couple of days to spend time with my family. I'll be heading back to Hogwarts as soon as possible after Christmas so I can get on with revising for my end of term exams in January. There's no way I want to be lugging all my books home and I can't face another stretch of time locked in the library at home.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

My Christmas wasn't too bad back at home but I am definitely glad to get back to the Dungeons. I left as soon as I could this morning, having arranged my early return with the Professors before going on holiday. I suppose that's one of the perks of being Head Boy, you can pretty much do anything you want as long as you pretend it's for the good of the school. As far as the Professor's know, I wanted to help the house-elves clean up the place after Slythmas, update the noticeboard, check the housepoint situation for the house cup (which doesn't look great if I'm honest) and prepare the dungeons for the upcoming exams - creating some good revision and work zones, you know the kind of thing. In reality I wanted to get away from the forced niceties of spending time with my family. In fairness I have done a lot of the things I promised the Professors as well so they really can't complain.

Less than a month to go of term and I only have three exams to prepare for. My apparition license exam is definitely the scariest but I think a close second is the interview for the end of my internship at the ministry. I really hope I make a good impression and it leaves me some career options for the future. I await the owl with my questions with baited breath!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

And finally my points have started to roll in! I've already got 225 this month and we're only up to the 17th! By my calculations I should get around 960 more before the end of the month, assuming I get close to full marks on all the assignments I've submitted! I still have a couple of final pieces of work to submit then I'm finished for the term. Looking forward to cracking back on with my OWLs next term - don't tell mother but I decided to concentrate on my other work this term since I'd already passed half the OWLs on offer. I haven't tried any of the next six so I'll have some good ones to choose from. And who knows, I might even do them all and really surprise my parents!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

The end of term is here and I'm pleased to say I passed all five of the classes I signed up for in September. I had a strong influx of points this month too: 1169 in January meaning 1625 in total for the term. Not too shabby in the end, though I would have preferred they were spread out over the term just a little!

I also got another article published in the ST this issue though I left it too late to do any more than one. Next issue I'm going to write something early so I'm not rushing at the last minute (as usual). The theme is luck so I'm hoping inspiration will strike soon!

Scales awarded
~Max

After a very brief break we're back with the Spring Term. It's always a really quick turn around for teachers and students and I'm planning to hit the ground running this term and not leave anything til the last minute. I've signed up for 4 new classes and have one class still rolling on from last term so I'm full once again! There were so many fabulous classes to pick from and I've tried to get myself a good mix of classes that interest me and ones my parents would be pleased about. It is with great trepidation that I've joined the Auror training scheme and am going to embark on the first level of the training. I really enjoyed my internship at the Ministry last term and can see myself working for one of the departments but I'm pretty sure the Auror department will not be for me. But, since you never know until you try something, I'm going to give it a go! Wish me luck!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

We're a couple of weeks into the new term already (how time flies!) and I've been doing pretty well with homework. I've sent my Professors the February assignments for all classes except for Auror Training (I'm not scared, honest!) and the OWLs. I really must make sure I do those this term as I don't want to still be worried about the assignments as my NEWTs approach next year. My mother would tell me to stop being so lazy so it's a good thing she's not allowed into the Dungeons during the school year. She was not impressed that I didn't do any of the OWLs last term and I don't want this Summer to be as rubbish as the last. 

Scales awarded
~Max

Ok, so I still need to send in my Auror Training work but I've looked really closely at all the paperwork we got when signing up and it doesn't have to be sent in monthly so I'm ok. Not entirely sure if it's a good or a bad thing though as it's likely to make me lazy and means I'll put the assignments off each month then have a bunch to do at the end of term.  I must keep reminding myself not to leave it all to the last minute and hope this diary will help me to do that.

I also still haven't done my Divination OWL and I only have two days to get it finished. Darn my laziness and general procratinating nature.

Scales awarded
~Max

Just in the nick of time I have sent my Divination OWL off to my Professor for grading. I remember now why I didn't do so well in the dreaded things last year as it took me a good few hours to complete. I do feel good now that I've got it done and feel like I've learnt a bunch about Divination and different techniques that I didn't know existed. I don't think that it's really a topic for me though, just a bit wishy washy for my liking with too many possible interpretations for everything. Maybe I just don't have the gift for it!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get some of my March assignments sent in nice and early this month but still have quite a few left to do. I picked some really interesting courses this term and it's making it so much easier to get on with my assignments. Loving learning new things again - I'll be sad when I finish school next year and have to find a job instead. 

Having said that, I must make sure I pass the rest of my OWLs this term or I'm never graduating! One down, 5 more to go!

Scales awarded
~Max

This week has all been about writing stuff for the SerpenTimes and I'm pleased to say I managed to write an article about a friend of our family and her experiences amongst the muggles. I also wrote my first column about classes in about a year (can't believe it's been that long) focusing on the OWLs. I really want to get back to writing my column regularly but have been lost for topics to write about. I think that next month I might write about the practical classes I've been lucky enough to take part in this past year (Internship, Beauxbaton's exchange, Auror Training, Beyond Hogwarts, Apparition Training) and hopefully encourage some like minded students to sign up for them in the future. Hopefully by writing this here I'll remember it when the next deadline comes around!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it - I got the Sagatious Slytherin of the Month award for being the student who earnt the most points during March. That's now the third time I've won it this year which, as well as being a great achievement, might actually get my mother off my back once and for all!  I had a couple of articles published in the SerpenTimes' latest edition, including my article about the OWLs. Of course, I sent that straight home and got a parcel back containing a note of congratulations, a bunch of sweets, a new quill and some colourful inks. Can't dwell too much on these successes though as April has started and I have more homework to complete and send in. The relentless march of time waits for no man!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a good little snake so far this month and have already sent in the April assignments for four out of my five classes. Plus I've already been awarded 180 house points this month from work I previously completed. And I'm clearly not the only one working hard as Slytherin has just edged past Hufflepuff into second place in the House Cup. It's been close between us all year and it will be wonderful if we can keep ahead until the end of the year. Sadly, I don't think that Ravenclaw are catchable, but that second place spot will be ours!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

So, in the past 10 days I've done zero HOL work which means it is a good thing I did all my monthly assignments right at the beginning of April. It is a little worrying that I have two OWLs to do this month so I'm going to pick one and get that done over the weekend. Looks like I'll definitely be finishing them up next year anyway so I might as well pace myself (yes I know I'm already a 6th year and have only done 4 OWLs but at least they've all been Outstanding!).

The book club is running a writing event during May so I'm definitely going to join in with that. It's been a long time since I've written as much as the target word count and it's a little bit overwhelming to be honest. I'm hoping there will be loads of hints about where and how to get started and how to pace myself during the month. I know what I'm like - I put things off until the last minute and then there's no time to get things done. I was thinking about writing some non-fiction instead of a story but I'm not sure what my topic should be. I have recently become really interested in muggle conspiracy theories so it would be really interesting to put something together based on those, but the extra research that would be involved might take too much time to get the writing done during the month. Probably best to stick to something I know quite a bit about already or just bite the bullet and start writing a story. Watch this space!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get an owl written tonight - I had the choice of two to complete this month and I chose to work on History of Magic. The lesson was really interesting and it was nice to learn a little more about the aftermath of the Salem Witch Trials as well as to try and put myself into the mind of someone who was there at the time to see how I would react when faced with a difficult decision. So that's two OWLS completed this term so far - one more and I get my Quill and have officially done enough to move onto my NEWTs next year (which I'm sure are too scary to even think about right now). I can't believe I've only got a year and a bit left before I have to think about getting a job and moving into the real world, away from Hogwarts. Can't I just stay here forever where it's safe?

Scales awarded
~Max

• 1 month later...

Well once again as the term progressed I put this journal to one side and forgot about it. But, like an old friend, it always comes back to me when I need it! The term has ended and packing up my dorm I found it stuffed underneath my matress - not sure who I thought would be reading it that I needed to hide it in such a strange place but there you go! - so I thought I'd better give a bit of an update.

Term is over (apart from those students taking their NEWTs) and after a tight battle the past few weeks Slytherin just missed out on the house cup. Getting so close to Ravenclaw was something that I thought was impossible a few months ago but that shows just how much I know! I managed to beat my points score from last year and passed 9 of the 10 classes I took on. I knew I wasn't going to take to the Auror training course, not sure why I signed up for it in the first place, and oddly mother agrees with me. I got some owl post at the beginning of the month saying she was pleased with the grades I was getting and not to worry about picking up that last class as the term drew to a close. Wonders never cease! I think she might even forgive me for not completing a third OWL exam this year when I tell her that my Divination OWL got the 'Top Parchment Award' and that my Professors were really impressed with my work. I have seven left to attempt but only need one of those to allow me to take my NEWTs and graduate. Then it's real life... scary!

But I have a whole year before I have to worry about those, and, more importantly, a whole summer ahead of me to enjoy life, read books for pleasure (instead of being forced to study by a militant mother), learn new things and write as much as I can! I'd like to be published more next term, and not only in the SerpenTimes, and I could use the holidays to get ahead and get some stuff ready for the new year editions.

Better put this down and finish packing!

Scales awarded
~Max