The Slytherin Dungeons

Andrea Scarlett walked with the other first years from the Great Hall. They went down some stairs and she noticed that it seemed to get darker and colder the further they descended. All that lit the dark halls were green flames on torches. So these were the Hogwarts dungeons, she thought. After about two left turns and a right, the prefect that led them all down here stopped in front of a plain brick wall. Andy (her preferred name) looked in confusion as they stopped at this dead end like all the other new Slytherins. The prefect spoke the words, "Sangre Purus."

They all stood in wonder as the wall went back and then slid sideways. That was when they all were allowed inside by the prefect into the grandeur that was the Slytherin Common Room. Andy made a mental note to remember the password that the prefect said. Now she was just looking around the place as the prefect explained where they'd sleep and the rules they went by among other things they might need to know. At least they wouldn't have to worry about classes just yet. They had a whole week before classes would start. Andy just hoped she could make some friends before then. Problem was how to?

Andy was quiet at first. The way she usually made friends was she would sit by herself quietly and for some odd reason, someone would eventually come and talk to her and then she'd make great friends. That was back in America though. She wasn't sure how things worked over here. Hopefully no one had a problem with Americans. This made her a bit nervous, but she was friendly girl when others were nice to her. She'd prove herself. She just needed someone to prove herself to.

Ivy noted the password down quickly in the back of her head, and followed the rest of the first years in, amazed by this place. She'd always known she was a witch, but she didn't think they had a school for it.

Her eyes gazed around the common room for a second, before she realised she knew nobody here. She felt a little shy now, and as soon as the prefect let them go, she instantly made her way to the fire and pulled her journal out, writing a quick entry, and then just reading.

Normally, she was all hyper and bubbly, until it came to a crowd. They could actually frighten her to the point she froze. But, funnily enough, only if she was among the crowd. In front of it never bothered her - she'd taken gymnastics for years - but she couldn't even think about being in them.

Cody trotted across the common room, cursing his hooves for making so much noise. The last thing he wanted to do was draw even more attention to himself. He had already been gawked at the entire time he was on the Hogwarts Express. It's like they've never seen a centaur before, Cody thought to himself.

The eleven-year old half-boy, half-horse surveyed the room for a moment. It was crawling with humans. He made his way towards the fire, where a girl was sitting alone. The girl's eyes were fixed on some sort of reading material, so Cody was almost positive she wouldn't pay him any attention.

Cody knelt down in the corner of the room; he didn't want to make a fool of himself by trying to sit in the armchair. Cody and furniture never really got along. He pulled The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 and pretended to read so he would look busy. It was at that moment that he realized he had already forgotten the password to the common room.

Ivy's head flicked upwards at the sound of trotting hooves. Was that sound familiar to her. Riding was one of her favourite things to do every morning...or more, it had been.

She smiled sweetly at the centaur, before sticking her nose back into her book.

Aimée smiled and nodded to her fellow first years, taking them in slowly, her black eyes gazing intently across each of their faces. She'd always had a knack for figuring out people - their personalities, their ambitions. Muggles were incredibly easy to read, however, and she welcomed the challenge of fellow witches and wizards.

She lingered when she came upon the centaur; she could already hear her parents' rant about how times have changed, and not necessarily for the better, since they had gone to Hogwarts. She shrugged off the feeling, trusting the sorting hat's ways. It would be good for Slytherin to embrace some diversity, forge new alliances, and strengthen the house. Powerful magic is powerful magic, whether from pure blood or not, and it's always good to have it on your side.

She pushed her thick dark mane behind her ears and flipped her robes behind her. Even though this moment, this first day at Hogwarts, had been expected since the day she was born, she was still nervous. She laughed lightly to herself at how silly it was since everyone was new and likely anxious.

After slipping to her room to stow her odds and ends, she took a deep breath and excitedly re-emerged, taking a spot near a lone girl who seemed a foreigner. Her clothing and demeanor didn't seem European at all, and was intriguing.

"Hello!" Aimée greeted loudly, underestimating the volume of her voice and the echo off the stone. She smiled wildly, flashing her white teeth (canines oddly sharp), shoving a well manicured hand (serpent green nails, naturally) towards the stranger.

Edited by Aimée Laurent

Andy tensed as she felt someone take a seat next to her on the couch near the fireplace. She looked over and saw a girl about her age. She had a dark mane of hair and greeted her with a smile. A sharp smile with oddly sharp canines. Usually that would scare most people, but Andrea Scarlett had always been intrigued by the weird and strange and embraced those kind of things. She had been born on Halloween after all. The girl extended her hand out to her with her manicured green nails. Andy smiled back a little.

"Hey. Andrea Scarlett. Call me Andy though." Andy said to the girl, taking her hand and giving it a shake. "Who are you?" She asked, wanting to know who this interesting girl was and hopefully her first friend around here. "Nice nails. Mine are awful." Andy commented with a slightly embarrassed laugh. She had a bad habit of biting her nails whenever she was bored and wasn't occupied with something.

Aha! American. Aimée thought triumphantly. She wondered what brought an American this far, and more importantly, how she got here. Surely a muggle flight would have been painfully boring, but since the first years can't practice magic outside of Hogwarts... It was a puzzling thought.

Aimée's smile widened as she saw Andy's eyes glance to her mouth, mostly for Andy's reaction; muggle children shied away from her vampiric grin.

"I'm Aimée, Aimée Laurent. These-," she poked a finger with her tooth, "-are 'cause my family was originally Romanian. Not all vampires, but then again, I don't know why I have sharp teeth! The parents say I'm not old enough yet to visit, but..." She trailed off, stopping herself from rambling too much. Her parents did always try to keep this information behind closed doors.

She studied Andy, and remembered something! She opened her robes and burrowed through the pockets. It must have been some sort of enchantment to have so many pockets inside the cloak. Eventually, she found it - a small vial of vibrant green nail polish. The label on the front had a large snake writhing, a tiny hiss emanating every so often. "A gift from my mum," Aimée said with a slight giggle, sliding the small bottle towards Andy.

"So American, eh? You've got states, right?"

Andy had to hide her relief when this girl didn't seem to recognize her name. Of course what was she worried about? This was only a first year like her. Only a History of Magic major would probably recognize her name. Of course she wasn't in the history books, but her family name was. The Scarlett family was the oldest pureblood family to settle in America and even evaded those horrible witch hunts back in the old days. Andy prepared herself though. Eventually someone would recognize the name and she'd have to put up with it.

The girl introduced herself as Aimée Laurent. She pointed at one of her sharp canines and said her family was originally Romanian. Andy cocked an eyebrow in interest. Aimée said that they weren't all vampires, but she didn't know why she had sharp teeth. She trailed off about not being old enough to visit yet, making Andy a bit confused, but perhaps they both had secrets that were best left unsaid and so she respected that.

Aimée handed over the nail polish she used on her nails and Andy examined it a moment before handing it back. She very rarely painted her nails. Although she had to admit that the color would definitely bring out her eyes. Andy nodded when Aimée pinned her for an American. She asked about having states there.

"Yep. Fifty to be exact, counting Alaska and Hawaii. I'm specifically from Texas though. Believe me, not all Americans talk like this. This is just the southern accent." Andy smirked after speaking in that thick country accent she just couldn't give up. She knew there was a stereotype of Americans sounding country-like, but she knew that you could go to different places in the U.S. and here all sorts of different accents. Andy personally thought the New York accent was pretty funny.

• 1 month later...

Aurelia West entered the common room and looked around curiously. Her eyes stopped on a centaur in the corner, a girl with a book, and two girls chatting on a couch. She had no where else to go, nothing better to do, so she started to walk over to the girls. Now Bree wasn't necessarily a brave person, or loud for that matter, so it surprised her as well when she made her way over there. Nervously, she stopped beside the girls and waited for them to acknowledge her. When they looked up, she said, "Hi, I'm Aurelia West. But you can call me Bree."

Andy saw a girl approach out of the corner of her eye. After a moment of talking with Aimée, they both turned their attention to the girl that had made an appearance by them. Andy felt for the girl, since she reminded her of herself; quietly waiting for someone to notice her. Once the girl had their attention, she greeted them and said that her name was Aurelia West, but told them to call her Bree.

"Howdy, Bree. Is that your middle name or something?" Andy asked the new girl, wondering where Bree came from out of Aurelia and West. It surely wasn't a nickname, so she figured it must be a middle name or something along those lines. "I'm Andrea Scarlett, but you can call me Andy, and this is Aimée Laurent." Andy said, introducing herself and the girl she'd been talking with.

Crystal walked confidently into the room and looked around. She noticed the centuar in the corner and nodded polietly at him. Then she continued to scan the room. She saw a shy looking girl sat by the fire reading and some girls chatting. She flicked her blonde hair out of her eyes and went over to the girl by the fire. "Hi, my name is Crystal Malfoy." she introduced like it was the most obvious thing in the world and stuck her hand out, smiling evilly.

Annarose Malfoy walked down the stairs from her dormitory where she was getting her things put away. She saw a few girls by the fireplace. She only recognized one of them: Her sister, Crystal. She ran the rest of the way and gave her a big hug. "I'm so glad you made it into Slytherin!" she said enthusiastically.

Rose grinned widely. "Sure," she laughed. "But don't bring that nasty animal that you had a couple years ago. Fiend. I heard you got a wolf cub, though. He can be there. But I repeat, not Fiend the cat!" She shuddered at the thought of Crystal's old mangy cat that scratched everything and everyone.